Woodside Fire News
Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween can be a fun and exciting holiday, but it's also important to prioritize safety, especially when it comes to fire hazards. Here are some safety tips to help ensure a safe and enjoyable Halloween:
- Choose Flameless Decorations: Opt for flameless LED candles and lights for your Halloween decorations, such as pumpkins and luminaries. This reduces the risk of accidental fires.
- Keep Decorations Away from Flames: If you do use real candles in your decorations, keep them well away from flammable materials like costumes, curtains, and paper decorations. Ensure they are in sturdy, tip-resistant containers.
- Use Flame-Resistant Costumes: When selecting Halloween costumes, look for those made from flame-resistant materials. Avoid costumes with long, flowing, or loose-fitting sleeves and outfits that can easily brush against open flames.
- Check Costume Labels: Read the labels on costumes and accessories to make sure they are flame-resistant or flame-retardant. Follow any care instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- Avoid Loose or Dragging Outfits: Costumes that drag on the ground or have long capes can pose a tripping hazard and may accidentally come in contact with candles or other open flames.
- Use Battery-Operated Lights: Whenever possible, opt to use battery-operated lights or glow sticks rather than candles or open flames.
- Practice Fire Escape Plans: Make sure your children know what to do in case of a fire. Practice fire escape plans and reinforce the importance of staying low to avoid smoke inhalation.
- Stay Visible: If your child's costume is dark, consider adding reflective tape or stickers to make them more visible to drivers while trick-or-treating.
- Check Smoke Alarms: Ensure that your smoke alarms are in good working order. Replace units or batteries if needed and test them to make sure they are functioning properly. .
- Supervise Open Flames: If you have to use candles or jack-o'-lanterns with open flames, never leave them unattended. Keep them out of reach of children and pets.
- Clear Pathways: Make sure walkways are clear of tripping hazards like decorations and extension cords to prevent accidents.
- STOP BY THE FIRE STATION TO show us your costume and get some CANDY!!